Email Our Firm

Washington and Oregon Construction Dispute Update: When Do I Contact A Lawyer?

When you have water intrusion in your home in Portland or a settling problem in your Seattle house, contacting a lawyer may be way down your list.  The first thing you're probably thinking about is fixing the problem.

But, if you purchased your home in the last several years or had it remodeled during that time period, you should contact a lawyer as soon as you can.  As Portland construction attorneys, we can provide you valuable advice on how to proceed that not only assists you in fixing the problem, but making sure you can pay for it. 

Construction law in Oregon and Washington is complex.  There are many traps for the unwary.  For example, if you do a complete fix or repair yourself and only later contact a construction lawyer in Washington or Oregon, you could face arguments from the contractor who originally performed the work that they cannot be held liable because you 'destroyed' the proof of their faulty workmanship.

There is no question that the first step when you find faulty construction in your home is to document the problem with pictures and videos.  If required and once documented, homeowners should try to find a way to minimize the damage.  However, once you take these first two steps, make sure to call a lawyer who can advise you on how best to achieve, and pay for, a long-term fix. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  1. “Your business model is such a fresh approach to the way legal services are typically delivered.”

    President, Manufacturing
  2. “Phil will help you understand the process you are going through, and is very passionate about your needs and situation.”

  3. “Phil, responded to my numerous questions promptly and completely. Very reasonable rates, no overbilling. Kept me informed of progress.”

  4. “Ben legally clarified the language in my contracts without turning them into super verbose mumbo-jumbo.”

    Kevin L.
  5. “Everyone, that I've interacted with is professional, knowledgeable, forthcoming with information and educating and caring.”

    Alanna C.

425 NW 10th Avenue
Suite 200
Portland, OR 97209

Toll Free: 866-280-7562
Phone: 360-258-1268
Fax: 503-417-4250
Map & Directions