We will remain operational and serving our clients throughout the COVID-19 crisis. Nothing is more important to us than the safety and well-being of our clients. For those who wish to practice social distancing and limit face-to-face contact, we are available for telephone consultations and videoconferences via Zoom, Skype or FaceTime. We also have standard teleconferencing options and use DocuSign. Please contact our office by email or call 503-567-1234 to learn more about the measures we are taking to protect you and your loved ones.

Washington and Oregon Construction Dispute Update: When Do I Contact A Lawyer?

On Behalf of | Nov 17, 2012 | Uncategorized

When you have water intrusion in your home in Portland or a settling problem in your Seattle house, contacting a lawyer may be way down your list.  The first thing you’re probably thinking about is fixing the problem.

But, if you purchased your home in the last several years or had it remodeled during that time period, you should contact a lawyer as soon as you can.  As Portland construction attorneys, we can provide you valuable advice on how to proceed that not only assists you in fixing the problem, but making sure you can pay for it. 

Construction law in Oregon and Washington is complex.  There are many traps for the unwary.  For example, if you do a complete fix or repair yourself and only later contact a construction lawyer in Washington or Oregon, you could face arguments from the contractor who originally performed the work that they cannot be held liable because you ‘destroyed’ the proof of their faulty workmanship.

There is no question that the first step when you find faulty construction in your home is to document the problem with pictures and videos.  If required and once documented, homeowners should try to find a way to minimize the damage.  However, once you take these first two steps, make sure to call a lawyer who can advise you on how best to achieve, and pay for, a long-term fix. 

FindLaw Network
Share This