Slinde Nelson

Get Started

Slinde Nelson

Get Started     503-567-1234

Slinde Nelson

Are you accused of missing wage payments or wage discrepancies?

On Behalf of | Oct 12, 2020 | Employment Law

As a business owner, the last thing you want is for your employees to be unhappy with you. Unfortunately, you’ve recently had one come to you saying that their wages were incorrect. You did go back and look at their timesheets, but you didn’t see any discrepancies.

As far as you can tell, you maintained the correct paydays, paid them in the way they asked and only took money out of the check for items they approved, like their health coverage and retirement. Still, they have decided that you aren’t being fair, so you’re now facing litigation.

What should you do if you’re being accused of paying incorrect wages?

This case may not have to go to court if you can get ahead of it. If you have all of the documents about the specific employee’s pay, then you can give those to your attorney. Check with your accounting team to make sure that the account looks accurate as well.

If the employee is arguing that there are times that have been changed or manipulated, check and see if a manager went in and manually added the employee’s time. For example, if they were late and the time had to be added manually, a mistake could have been made. Make sure to check.

Give all these documents to your attorney, so you can go over them together. Your attorney knows the state’s employment, wage and hour laws, so they will take steps to help you understand any errors and resolve the conflict. If there are no mistakes, they will represent you and speak with the other party’s attorney(s), so they can try to work toward a resolution to this issue.